Nicholas Conrad, Sr. (about 1824 – 4 December 1874)
- about 1824 in Bavaria1,2,3
- 3 October 1853 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Catharine Emminger4
- 4 December 1874 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States3
- Catharine Emminger (23 Apr 1834 – 29 Jan 1910)
- Lena Conrad, John Conrad, Charles Philipp Conrad, Frederick Conrad, Nicholas Conrad, William Conrad, George Conrad, Kate Conrad
Nicholas is the Conrad brick wall.
Nicholas Conrad was born about 1824 in Bavaria, Germany. He was also known as Nicolaus Conrad. He immigrated before 3 May 1853, declared his intent to become a citizen on 12 Jul 1855, and was naturalized in Philadelphia on 3 May 1858.5 After immigrating, he lived in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States for the rest of his life.
Nicholas Conrad and Catharina Emminger were married on 3 Oct 1853 at Saint Michael’s and Zion Church in Philadelphia.4 On 1 Jun 1860 he was a box maker1 and a barrel dealer on 1 Jun 1870.2 On his death certificate in 1874 his occupation was reported as cooper.3
Nicholas died on 4 Dec 1874 at the age of 50 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States.3 He lived at 1729 N. 4th Street at the time.3 He was buried on 7 Dec 1874 at Glenwood Cemetery in Philadelphia.3
Last updated: 7 December 2014
- 1860 US Census, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Ward 11 Philadelphia, p240/1066, dwelling 2281, family 2444, Nickolas Conner; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com : accessed 3 July 2014). States his place of birth as Wuerttemberg.
- 1870 U.S. Census, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Ward 19, Philadelphia, p. 76, dwelling 1007, family 1260, Nicholas Conrad ; digital images, FamilySearch.org (https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1438024 : accessed 19 December 2013). States his place of birth as Bavaria.
- Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, death certificate (1874), Nicholas Conrad; Bureau of Health, Philadelphia. (also “Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J6B5-38M : accessed 7 December 2014), Nicholas Conrad, 04 Dec 1874; citing , Philadelphia City Archives and Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; FHL microfilm 2,026,535.)States his place of birth as Germany.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), Philadelphia, Denomination Not Stated, St. Michaels and Zion Church, marriages, image 140, Nicolaus Conrad and Catharine Emminger, 1853; digital images, Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Historic Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2451 : accessed 29 November 2014).
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Court of Common Pleas Naturalization Declarations and Petitions, 63-1858, Nicholas Conrad, Declaration of Intent 1855, Naturalization Petition 1858; Philadelphia City Archives, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.